The steps below have been researched and developed by the New Economics Foundation.
There is strong evidence that indicates that feeling close to, and valued by, other people is a fundamental human need and one that contributes to functioning well in the world.
- Meet Up - Meetup is the world's largest network of local groups. Meetup makes it easy for anyone to organize a local group or find one of the thousands already meeting up face-to-face. More than 9,000 groups get together in local communities each day, each one with the goal of improving themselves or their communities.
Regular physical activity is associated with lower rates of depression and anxiety across all age groups.Exercise is essential for slowing age-related cognitive decline and for promoting well-being.
- Ourparks - Our Parks is a brand new initiative bringing FREE, group exercise classes, led by experienced, fully qualified and insured instructors, to parks near you in partnership with Councils / Local Authorities.
Reminding yourself to ‘take notice’ can strengthen and broaden awareness. Studies have shown that being aware of what is taking place in the present directly enhances your well-being and savouring ‘the moment’ can help to reaffirm your life priorities.
- Mindfulness - Mindfulness is a mental state achieved by focusing one’s awareness on the present moment, while calmly acknowledging and accepting feelings, thoughts, and bodily sensations. By being fully present in this way – not forcing things or hiding from them, but actually being with them, we create space to respond in new ways to situations and make wise choices.
- London Buddhist Centre - You can learn to meditate at one of our drop-in meditation classes, by attending a meditation course or by going on retreat. We also run yoga classes, arts events, fairs and festivals – all this in a strong atmosphere of community and friendship.
Continued learning through life enhances self-esteem and encourages social interaction and a more active life.Anecdotal evidence suggests that the opportunity to engage in work or educational activities particularly helps to lift people out of depression.
Tower Hamlets College - Tower Hamlets College is based in the east of London. We have two campuses within the borough of Tower Hamlets, with the main one based at Poplar, close to Canary Wharf and another at Arbour Square, Stepney, close to the City of London.
Hackney College - School leavers and adults can choose from hundreds of popular courses, and study full or part-time. We also have flexible opportunities for employers to train their staff, through our partner company View Training.
Tower Hamlets Careers Service - Are you confused about which career, course or training to choose? Do you need help with your C.V, covering letters, preparing for interviews or looking for job vacancies?
Tower Hamlets Sixth Colleges -
- The Princes Trust - Many of the young people we help are in, or leaving, care, facing issues such as homelessness or mental health problems, or have been in trouble with the law.
Our free programmes give young people the practical and financial support they need to stabilise their lives. We help them develop key skills while boosting their confidence and motivation.
Participation in social and community life has attracted a lot of attention in the field of wellbeing research. Individuals who report a greater interest in helping others are more likely to rate themselves as happy. For more information please click here